LAIKA - VFX Previs TD
The VFX Previs Technical Director (TD) is responsible for technically supporting the VFX Previs team, under the guidance of the CG Supervisor and Lead Previs Artist, to ensure cinematic objectives and CG environment representations are representing a cohesive digital world for stop motion animation, while partnering with the Digital Pipeline Manager to design and implement tools and workflows that address production needs.
• Work with fellow Pipeline Technical Directors (TDs) to design, develop and maintain digital pipeline tools that pertain to Previs and Postvis including shots and CG cameras, as well as procedural systems for CG assets that are properly aligned for physical and CG shot production.
• Identify areas of industry innovation and help develop and maintain custom tools, templates, scripts, workflows and documentation for the Previs team; identify productivity improvements in collaboration with Artists across disciplines.
• Provide technical guidance for quality control of other Artists’ work, as needed.
• With oversight from the CG Supervisor (Camera) and Previs Lead, establish sequence previs, postvis and layout through realization of production storyboards and artwork in collaboration with key creative personnel to maintain style continuity throughout sequences.
• Support the Previs Lead, Matchmove Lead, Environments Lead, Asset Artists and stage personnel to confirm accurate translation of CG assets during shot integration.
• Absorb Previs and layout inventory, as needed.
• Strategize with fellow Pipeline TDs regarding software and hardware resources.
• Help Previs Artists overcome technical problems through collaboration with department TDs and Digital Pipeline team.
• Advise Digital Pipeline team on creation, implementation and refining of toolsets; and assist with the support of existing tools via bug fixes and version updates, as needed.
• 5+ years of relevant industry experience (Animated content, preferred).
• Understanding of cinematic language, composition, editorial timing, camera motion and use of lenses.
• Experience in layout camera and cinematography as it applies to story, character, visual composition, asset modeling, rigging, texturing, lighting and compositing to achieve the final visual and structural result.
• Expertise of applicable software and platforms including Maya, Nuke, After Effects and Photoshop.
• Expertise coding with Python, including familiarity with best practices, and the Python core library.
• Understanding of Scale coupled with the ability to work from Scale Plans.
• Experience with 'low poly' modeling (with good model arrangement) whilst while accurately matching supplied concept art.
• Familiarity with Maya Sequence tool, required.
• Familiarity with scripting in Python or MEL, required.
• Familiarity with exporting to Unreal Engine, a plus.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to walk; stand; sit; use hands to operate standard office equipment; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; talk or hear both in person and by telephone. The employee must lift and/or move up to 15 pounds. Vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
• Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee works under typical office conditions and is exposed to variable indoor temperatures. The noise level is usually quiet or moderate.
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
TimeSunday, 6 August 20238am - 9:30am PDT
Session TimeSunday, 6 August 20238am - 9:30am PDT