Staff GPU Architecture Research Engineer
Samsung Austin R&D Center - Advanced Computing Lab
Austin, San Jose
Samsung, a world leader in advanced semiconductor technology, is founded on a simple philosophy – the endless pursuit of excellence will create a better world for all. At Samsung Austin Research and Development Center (SARC) and Advanced Computing Lab (ACL), we are building a center of excellence for Intellectual Property (IP) that is applied to high-performance computing devices (mobile, automotive, and other custom market segments) consumed by millions of people around the world. Come build with us!
Role and Responsibilities
As a Staff GPU architecture research engineer, you will be responsible for locating the issues of current GPU architecture and proposing a better design to improve power and performance. You will also research on new GPU features such as Ray Tracing, Machine Learning, AR/VR and more.
- Interface with architect, RTL designer and software engineer and understand the current GPU architecture
- Locate the weakness in current GPU architecture and propose and validate improvement.
- Follow the market and technology trend of GPU graphics and GPU compute and introduce new features into future generation GPU architecture. Design and validate prototype of such new features.
Skills and Qualifications
- Generally, requires a Bachelors Degree or equivalent, with a minimum of 6 years’ of professional experience or a Master's Degree and 4 years of professional experience or a PhD and 2 years of professional experience in relevant field.
- Masters or Ph.D degree preferred
- More experienced engineers will be hired at more senior levels
- C, C++ and python programming in a Linux environment.
- Experience with development tools such as revision control systems, debuggers, and make/cmake
- 3+ years of experience with GPU architecture design and modelling
- Experience with performance profiling and analysis
- Experience with GPU compiler and GPU driver
- Experience with game development
- Experience with OpenGL, Vulkan, DirectX or Metal
- Experience with CUDA or OpenCL and machine learning
- Experience with AR/VR solution implementation
Compensation for this role will vary among specific regions due to geographic differentials in the labor market, actual pay will be determined considering factors such as relevant skills and experience, and comparisons to other employees in the role. However, compensation in the following regions is expected to be as follows:
Colorado: Compensation is expected to be between $144,345.00 and $223,735.00
NYC: Compensation is expected to be between $144,345.00 and $223,735.00
Washington State: Compensation is expected to be between $166,024.00 and $257,336.00
California: Compensation is expected to be between $166,024.00 and $257,336.00
Regular full-time employees (salaried or hourly) have access to benefits including: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k), free onsite lunch, employee purchase program, tuition assistance (after 6 months), paid time off, student loan program, wellness incentives, and many more. In addition, regular full-time employees (salaried or hourly) are eligible for MBO bonus compensation, based on company, division, and individual performance.
*This position requires the ability to access information subject to U.S. export control restrictions. Applicants must have the ability to access export controlled information or be eligible to receive a government authorization to access export-controlled information
* Samsung Electronics America, Inc. and its subsidiaries are committed to employing a diverse workforce, and provide Equal Employment Opportunity for all individuals regardless of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.