Chart Your path
SIGGRAPH participants gather for graphics-related, attendee-organized, informational Birds of a Feather sessions focused on the most prominent industry topics of yesterday, today, and tomorrow. Birds of a Feather sessions are attendee-organized.
Submit to Birds of a Feather
A Birds of a Feather (BOFs) meeting is a graphics-related, attendee-organized, informational discussion of shared interests, goals, technologies, environments, and/or backgrounds.
BOF events provide a casual atmosphere for conference attendees to meet, exchange ideas, and share information. They are either a presentation or a meet-up.
BOF Presentations share information with like-minded participants via a formal presentation of speaker(s) or panelists. BOF Meet-ups provide a place for participants to gather informally with others who have interests in the same topic.
All participants, including organizers, must be registered at an appropriate level to participate.
To be considered a BOF, events must be:
- Related to computer graphics or interactive techniques
- Open to all registered SIGGRAPH 2023 participants
- Non-commercial in nature (topics specific to one commercial product or company are not allowed)
- Free of recruitment, sales, product tutorials, or company promotion
- Free of charge
SIGGRAPH 2023 Birds of a Feather are non-juried content but are subject to a review and approval process.
Types of BOF Submissions
Each BOF will be required to select the type of content that is to be presented upon submission.
Birds of a Feather Presentation: The purpose of these BOFs is to share non-commercial information with like-minded participants via a formal presentation of speaker(s) or panelists.
Birds of a Feather Meet-ups: The purpose of these BOFs is to gather informally with others who have interests in the same topic.
- All BOF requests are submitted through the BOF submission system. BOF submissions close on 20 July.
- BOFs begin 6 August when the conference opens and can be scheduled through 10 August.
- Time slots are first-come, first-served.
- BOF sessions in the convention center can be no longer than four hours, including setup and teardown. Longer BOF sessions may be held in one of the SIGGRAPH 2023 official hotels.
- There is no charge for use of the meeting rooms in the convention center.
- All costs related to any BOF in the Los Angeles Convention Center or a hotel are the responsibility of the organizer.
- BOF room sets in the convention center are permanent and cannot be changed. If your BOF requires a set different than what is provided in the convention center select a hotel as your preferred location.
BOF session requests can be made through the SIGGRAPH 2023 website until 20 July 2023. Make sure all the information in your submission is accurate and complete before submitting. Missing information may delay processing your request. Email email@example.com with any questions.
A BOF session submission must be filled out for each event even if from the same submitter/organization.
If your request is approved, you will receive an email acknowledgment within two weeks that includes all necessary contact information. BOFs located in hotels will receive a confirmed room assignment at that time. BOFs held in the convention center will receive a room assignment four weeks prior to the conference.
Audio Visual/Video Taping
Organizers must provide their own audio visual. Organizers may use their own or order through the contact provided in the BOF confirmation. Any charges are the responsibility of the organizer.
BOFs can be recorded using the following guidelines:
- If only the presenters are being recorded, the organizer needs to handle getting permission directly from all presenters. SIGGRAPH will not be involved in gathering these permissions.
- If the audience is being recorded, the organizer either needs to get signed permissions from all audience members, or provide signage at the door telling attendees that they are being recorded by the organizers, not SIGGRAPH, for this session.
- SIGGRAPH will not include these recordings in its Virtual Access platform.
ASCAP and BMI are membership associations of U.S. composers, songwriters, and publishers of every kind of music. Whenever music (recorded or live) is played at an event, a license must be purchased from these associations. The license purchase is the responsibility of the organizer and not the venue where the event is to be held.
Exhibitor Meeting Space
Exhibitors cannot request BOFs for commercial presentations. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for commercial presentations.