ACM SIGGRAPH Practitioners: Research to Practice: Getting There and Back Again
DescriptionThe SIGGRAPH Practitioners Sessions are an in-person sessions for practitioners at the conference to have discussions, with like-minded peers, on professional development in our industries, including but not limited to different approaches to creating and scoping engineering projects, developing tech stacks, and identifying opportunities for taking research to practice and the productisation journey thereof.
In this session, we will look into topics such as:
- The research to practice mindset: identifying new opportunities at SIGGRAPH;
- Applying research to practice: going from proof of concept to product: how does one take research into product, and how do researchers get inspired by practice at SIGGRAPH;
- Reflections on career transitions between research and practice: what are the pros/cons, obstacles and lessons learnt about research to get it to development.
The SIGGRAPH Practitioner Sessions are organised by the ACM SIGGRAPH Practitioner Career Development Committee (PCDC), whose directive is to plan, develop, and facilitate activities that support the career development of computer graphics and interactive techniques practitioners across different industries worldwide.
• Peter Shirley, Vice President, Graphics, Activision
• Andrew Glassner, Distinguished Research Scientist at Weta Digital+Unity
• Orly Liba, Staff Research Scientist, YouTube
• Patrick Cozzi, CEO, Cesium
• Per Christensen, Principal Scientist, Pixar's RenderMan Group
Vice President of Graphics Event Type
ACM SIGGRAPH Village In-Person
TimeWednesday, 9 August 202310am - 12pm PDT
Session TimeWednesday, 9 August 202310am - 12pm PDT
Arts & Design
Gaming & Interactive
Production & Animation
Research & Education
Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning
Diversity Equity & Inclusion